In order to prevent the spread of fake news, here is a quick guide to spotting it.
1. Read Past The Headline
2. Check What News Outlet Published It
3. Check The Publish Date And Time
4. Who Is The Author?
5. Look At What Links And Sources Are Used
6. Look Out For Questionable Quotes And Photos
7. Beware Confirmation Bias
8. SEARCH IF OTHER NEWS OUTLETS ARE REPORTING IT
9. Think Before You Share
Now, give it a try:
(Actually, he can’t. That title is for those that don’t bother to even read beyond the title!)
I’ve made one change. Share LAST! Nothing should be shared until you have really checked out and verified the veracity of your source.
1. Read first.
2. Check the source (and their sources).
3. Watch out for recycled stories.
4. If you care about facts, ignore the blatantly slanted.
5. Google it. (but be careful)
6. Then share.